US operator T-Mobile has revamped its retail offering, abolishing handset subsidies for premium devices in favour of an interest-free scheme that separates the cost of the device from the cost of network service. Annual service contracts have also been withdrawn. The pricing overhaul is expected to be one of a number of announcements made by T-Mobile at a press event later on Tuesday, although the changes have already been made on the operator’s online retail portal.
The US Department of Justice’s (DoJ) Antitrust Division has called on telecoms regulator the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to more aggressively regulate the amount of spectrum that the country’s larger operators are able to own.
German operator group Deutsche Telekom has submitted what it says is a final offer for US operator MetroPCS. The firm hopes to persuade a number of MetroPCS’s shareholders that voiced objections to the terms of the initial bid.
The US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has approved the potential merger between operators T-Mobile USA and MetroPCS.
Much has been made of the perceived spectrum shortage in the US. While operators will arguably never be satisfied with the amount of spectrum they possess and will always welcome more, in terms of MHz available per subscriber in the market, the US does look as though it is lacking in comparison to other major markets.
US carrier AT&T said Tuesday it has agreed to acquire the retail wireless operations of Atlantic Tele-Network, which operates under the Alltel brand for $780m in cash.
A US House Intelligence Committee report warned the country’s operators that Chinese infrastructure vendor ZTE and its domestic rival Huawei, pose a threat to the country’s national security. In the wake of the report, David Dai Shu, ZTE’s director of global public affairs, spoke to Telecoms.com to give his comopany’s side of the story.
The US House Intelligence Committee has warned the nation’s operators not to trust Chinese equipment vendors ZTE and Huawei.
Deutsche Telekom’s T-Mobile USA and MetroPCS have announced plans to merge with DT owning 74 per cent of the combined company and MetroPCS the remaining 26 per cent. The deal will strengthen T-Mobile’s position in the US, increasing total subscribers by 28 per cent to 43 million and increasing market share from 10 per cent to 13 per cent.
In an attempt to ignite take up of its m-wallet offering, Google has launched a cloud-based version of its wallet for its US users. As a result, users can now add Visa, American Express and Discover credit and debit cards, as well as MasterCard, to their wallet.
US operator AT&T has announced that it is to acquire NextWave Wireless, which holds spectrum licences in the US AWS and WCS bands. AT&T will pay $650m NextWave, $600m of which covers NextWave’s debt.
While many markets around the world have seen lower than expected growth over the past three years in terms of broadband adoption, Russia has bucked the trend by posting big growth figures, according to UK research firm Point Topic.
Deutsche Telecom’s US mobile operation, T-Mobile USA, is to cut a further 900 jobs, following the unit’s failed $39bn purchase by AT&T late last year. The latest cuts come on top of around 1,900 job losses announced earlier this year.
US wholesale player LightSquared has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection amid efforts to resolve regulatory issues that have prevented it from launching its satellite service.
Deutsche Telekom’s results for the first quarter of the year show that the operator group has seen more than a 50 per cent decline in net profit and a 1.1 per cent reduction in revenue. Net profit fell from €480m to €238m, year-on-year for the first quarter of 2012, while revenue fell to €14.4bn. Adjusted net profit fell 17 per cent year-on-year to €581m.