Mobile Communications International August 2009
Click to launch the full edition in a new window.
Operator Telefónica has published a report on attitudes and forecast for the connected car industry. It forecasted the majority of cars the number of vehicles with built-in connectivity will increase from 10% of the overall market in 2013 to 90% by 2020, and that the vast majority of car consumers expect a connected experience in the car of the future.
Sweden’s Ericsson has won a contract from Brazilian operator Vivo that will see the vendor manage the deployment of smart parking and lighting solutions as part of Vivo’s digital city project in São Paolo. Ericsson will partner with specialist providers as the project’s lead systems integrator and will assume responsibility for design, installation and deployment as well as post-deployment managed services, operations and maintenance.
Spanish media group Prisa has accepted incumbent operator Telefónica’s €725m bid for its 56 per cent stake in pay TV platform Canal+’s holding company Distribuidora de Televisión Digital (DTS). The deal gives DTS a market value of €1.3bn (US$1.8bn) and, if approved by regulators, will give Telefónica a controlling stake of 78 per cent, leaving Italy’s Mediaset with a 22 per cent holding.
Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) is set to become one of the defining trends of the era in the mobile network. Spanish incumbent Telefónica is the first operator to lay out its approach to NFV and its plans are both detailed and aggressive. Mike Hibberd met with Global CTO Enrique Blanco ahead of Telefónica’s NFV announcement, to learn of the changes in store.